How to Overcome Mental Barriers in Sports
No matter how talented you are, if there are mental game challenges that get in your way, you will never play up to your full potential. The way to overcome these mental barriers is by making use of athlete mental training.
This involves training the mind just as you do the body.
No athlete is unfamiliar with physical training; it’s the only way to improve the skills necessary to succeed.
However, this approach is often overlooked when it comes to the mind. Through the use of athlete mental training, you can overcome the mental barriers you currently struggle with and finally perform up to your full potential.
Main Mental Barriers In Sports
Before going into what athlete mental training is and how it can be used to overcome the mental barriers faced in sports, we need to discuss what these barriers actually are.
Commonly known as mental game challenges, these involve frames of thought and feeling that keep you from performing your best.
Here are some of the most common mental game challenges athletes face:
● Low Confidence: when you doubt yourself and your skills, playing your best is almost impossible. Without a strong trust in yourself, you will never reach the potential you know you’re capable of.
● Perfectionism: while it’s natural to want to do your best, the need to be and appear perfect will only hold you back. Perfectionism is a leading barrier to success, because it doesn’t allow you to make the necessary mistakes needed to improve.
● Performance Anxiety: growing nervous before a game is one thing, but constant worries and concerns are a whole different story. Anxiety can take all the joy you experience away from the game.
● Fear of Failure: much like anxiety, fear of failure is present over a concern about what may happen. If you fear making a mistake, you will play tightly and never allow yourself to perform freely and with full confidence.
● Poor Focus: there are many distractions present during games, and if you don’t have the mental strength to control your attention, this can lead to you losing focus and your performance levels dropping.
● Negative Self-Talk: how you speak to yourself directly impacts how you feel. If you have a negative voice in your head during practices or games, this will make it difficult to bounce back from mistakes and perform with confidence.
How To Overcome Mental Game Challenges
The six mental game challenges listed above will not only lead to lower levels of performance, but suck the fun out of the game for you.
I’ve worked with many athletes who’ve struggled with wanting to quit their sport, simply due to one of the barriers listed above.
It’s no small matter.
But the important thing is that any of these barriers can be worked through. And that’s where athlete mental training comes into play.
Training The Mind Through Routine
To overcome these mental game challenges, a similar approach needs to be taken as you use with training the body.
For example, if you want to increase your speed, you must work on your leg power, your technique, and explosiveness. In short-you have to train.
So, if you want to improve your confidence, overcome anxiety, manage fear of failure, or anything else, you also need to train.
I believe that the best way to overcome mental barriers in sports is through the use of a daily mental training routine. Performed in the morning or at night, these tools will help overcome the challenges you currently face.
Top Mental Training Tools To Use:
● Positive Self-Talk
● Process Goals
● Mental Rehearsal
● Journal Writing
● Count Breathing
Mental game challenges and barriers are incredibly frustrating. They keep you from performing your best and enjoying your sport.
However, through the use of mental training tools, you can work to overcome any challenges you may currently be struggling with.
If you’re ready to make use of athlete mental training, click here to learn about the Mental Training Advantage program that will teach you all the mental training tools you need to build a championship mindset.
Contact Success Starts Within Today
Please contact us to learn more about mental coaching and to see how it can improve your mental game and increase your performance. Complete the form below or schedule an introductory coaching call here.
Master Your Mental Game With One-On-One Coaching
Get one-on-one mental performance coaching to help break through mental barriers and become the athlete you're meant to be!